Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Finally, a built in fireplace

I'm soooooo happy to report that my fireplace is nearly done! Today was just like Christmas all over.


Potter Construction showed up first thing to start the building and was followed shortly by Mikes Custom Cabinetry. This is a project that has been in my imagination for years and years, I would say fifteen. I originally got the idea from a Lennox Fireplace brochure. Since I never really thought it would happen I never bothered to save a copy of the picture. Ha Ha, didn't need to. The idea was firmly welded in my brain, like a painting that needs to be painted. I finally got the guts to ask a contractor to do it, since he was going to be doing my garage, you know, why not!.... "Sure" he said "we can do that", then a couple months ago he brought over Mike and Mike, of Mike's Custom Cabinets. Mike drew a picture of what I described and amazingly, it appeared in my living room today. All that's left is the black granite I picked out to go around the edge of the fireplace and the crown molding that goes across the top.


Yippee, O happy day. The pieces came in, up, and over the railing.





We had 6 men in the house, two from Potter construction and 4 from Mike's.



These guys were proud of their work . That always makes me feel better. Over the last month, I just kept thinking, 'how can this possibly turn out the way I wanted'. A week ago, Don called me and said Mike's would be here today, and that he had seen it. I hadn't seen it yet and asked him "so...how does it look?" He said it looked like he thought it should. Ha Ha. So, today was my first day to see it too.
So here it is, the very figment of my imagination.
Such a pretty color! Oh, I guess I need some knobs too.

3 comments:

tash said...

Pretty nice!

Wendlelyn said...

I love it! I want one too.

bar-b-ann said...

Looks so great....I didn't realize it was white, I had it in mind it was oak....really really nice!