Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Garage Demo

Finally, my rotten garage is going away. Here are a few pictures.
I almost can't believe how poorly these houses were built. Look at the center photo above. There are 5 different products covering the studs: cedar, very bottom, pressure treated plywood along the bottom, sound board (black) pressboard (light ) and weathered plywood at the top. No wonder my garage leaked so bad this last winter, the sound board is like a sponge when it gets wet.
We had a lot of damage this last winter due to the weight of the ice that built up on the front edge of our garage. We had our insurnace look at it because the roof looked saggy in the center.

He didn't seem to think so, but I happen to be very good a spotting level and I could clearly see the sag. So when we had the guys from Potter Construction start, they took down all the stuff that the insurance was going to take care of and also took the roof off because even though the insurance wasn't going to cover it, I wanted a straight and reinforced roof. Well I hate to say I was right in a case like this but I was. The guys found that the header over the garage door was sagging by about 3/4" without any roof on it. I took some pictures and emailed them to my insurance guy to prove my point. Now my bill goes up because they have to replace the header but I will feel so much better.

We were worried about how Gracie would take all the noise since she really is a fraidy cat, but she was doing fine in the new little cat bed that her daddy bought for her.
We won't be able to put our Christmas tree for awhile because Potter is going to build in my fireplace as well and he thinks its going to be about 2 weeks before its done and ready to be installed. I hope it turns out the way I imagine and that will be an excellent Christmas present.

3 comments:

Wendlelyn said...

That's exciting, don't know that it's a good exciting, other than the fireplace part, but exciting nonetheless. I wish I had a fireplace. This house used to have one, now it just house the spot where it used to be in the basement so my armour sits there.

tash said...

Wow, I'm surprised at all the different material. No wonder our top floor leaked in 10 mins after the toilet flooded one time.

Justin and Kristin said...

Wow! That looks like lots of hassle filled work! Good Luck! I hope it turned out as well as you expected and Yah for fireplaces!