Thursday, July 31, 2008

Our Cats

This is Lexie

She is our first baby. I decided I wanted a cat, so Anita and I went out and got one. I picked Lexie because she didn't whine. I brought her home and waited for Jim to come home. Knowing Jim didn't want a cat, I thought I would make her hard to resist. So I put her in a box when he was coming in. I told him he had a present in the box. So Lexie became Jim's cat. She loved Jim, she would follow him around like a dog, waiting for him to sit so she could sit on him! She died four short months after her baby Ariel, in August of 2007 at the age of 18.

This is Ariel.

Ariel is Lexie's kitten. Lexie had one batch of kittens, of which Jim INSISTED we keep this one. Ariel, named by Anita, was our diabetic kitty. Ariel was born in 1990. She was diagnosed with diabetes in 2001, and had to take insulin shots 2 times a day. She was the most caring cat in the world. She would sit or pace, depending on her mood, and wait for me to go to bed at night, she would lay next to me in bed and purr until she thought I was asleep, then she would be off to another spot on the bed to sleep. Jim and I hardly went anywhere overnight during that time of her life unless we got our friend and neighbor, Barb, to give Ariel her shots. Barb is very trust worthy and the only one we trusted with her life. THANKS BARB! Ariel died at the age of 17 in 2007. That is a very long life for a diabetic kitty. We took extremely good care of her.
This is Dude.
Dude was a giant cat. Dude and Gracie were brother and sister. Both
born in a wood pile and found by my dad when he was visiting us the summer of 1990. We soon discovered that the momma cat had abandoned 3 kittens. We introduced the scared kittens to Lexie who had six kittens approximately the same age. She seemed alittle annoyed but she took care of the 3 new kittens. We found a home for one but Dude and Gracie stayed. When we moved we wondered what to do with the two woodpile cats. We took them with us since we couldn't bare to leave them alone. Dude was like a huge teddy bear. He loved hugs and loved to cuddle. Dude died of kidney failure in 2001. Shortly after his passing Ariel had similar symptoms to Dudes but luckily hers was Diabetes and manageable.
This is Gracie, you met her on an earier blog. Dude's sister. Gracie was the biggest scaredy cat of all. She is the sole survivor of our cats. She loves to cuddle in the blankets of the bed. If I don't make the bed right away in the mornings then she will dig around until she is snuggled in, it's really adorable. She seems a little lonely being the last cat in the house, she howels a lot but loves all the extra attention. She doesn't like it when we go out of town, and is very happy when we return. She loves to play with her little foam balls and seems to have endless energy for a cat of 18 years old. She is on a special diet because she too has kidney problems like her brother. So far she is purrrrring right along.
We love our cats and they loved us. I sure hope we get our pets in Heaven!

4 comments:

bar-b-ann said...

I have known you most of those years and didn't know all the history on the cats...this was good to read....I love the pictures especially since I always seemed to get your cats mixed up...but never Ariel,she reminded me just a little of my "Woody".

tash said...

I agree Ariel looks like Woody.

bar-b-ann said...

patty check this out.....what a way to write a journal....http://www.blurb.com/create/book/blogbook

Justin and Kristin said...

Me too, I hope we get our pets in heaven!