Sunday, September 7, 2008

Addicted to Scouting

I know! I never thought I'd be a Scouter but that's what I am. I thought I would share some photos of an "Arrow of Light", ceremony. When I was asked to be our Packs Cubmaster in March of 2002 I never thought it would go this far. Becky, the out going committee chairman, met me at the Bishops door and gave me the Cub Scout handshake and I was sure it was a CULT thing. I spent the next 10 days, because that was all I had before the 1st "pack meeting", asking everyone I knew in different primary presidencies and scouting, if they could actually have female Cub Masters! Unfortunately, you could. I was told by Becky at the door, that I had 10 days to get a costume, prepare an Arrow of Light, figure out what it was, and figure out what a pack meeting was and buy a uniform. She said there was a boy that was ready for that award and that it was a huge event! I just stood there with my mouth open. I then went inside and asked the Bishop if I could change to the Committee Chairman. He told me "no" of course and said I could do both because they didn't have a committee chairman. OH MY!!, it just kept getting worse!!

Resolved to figure everything out after a prayer or two, I read whats called the Cub Scout Bible or Handbook a few hundred pages, I read the Wolf book the Bear book and the Webelos book, all in about a week. Then decided Becky wasn't kidding about the Arrow of Light being a huge award so I thought I'd better start working on that. I also sewed an Indian costume which I still use to this day.

Since that fateful day, I have served as Cubmaster of our wards pack for 3 years, served on the Districts Roundtable staff as cub master trainer for 2 plus years and I am currently the Eagle Rock District Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner. While Cubmaster in 2004 I attended Akelas trail, an intensive 3 and a half day leader training course which involves camping out in a tent which I don't really care for. Then, to top that off, they asked me to come back the next year as staff, which meant camping even longer, YUCK! It was actually the most FUN HARD WORK I have ever done. Last year I was invited to Philmont, an exclusive training facility in New Mexico but I was not able to go. I do hope they invite me again, more camping though, but it's supposed to be beautiful!

So here we go. I decorate arrows for the boy as a gift. After a good folk lore story and presentation of the actual badge(patch) I give them an arrow to hang on their wall.
I stamp the boys name in leather and make a totem to hang from their arrow. The name totem is to remind them to always honor their name. I also make 3 feathers to hang on the arrow and tell the boys that even the Great Bald Eagle cannot soar without help from his feathers so these feathers represent their mother, father and the Great Spirit of Light (Heavenly Father) and I tell them to council often with their mother, father and Great Spirit of Light. (The Great Spirit of Light comes from the folk lore story and the scriptures)




I wrap the arrow with rabbit fur and tell the boys it's to remind them that they are children of our Heavenly Father and he loves them. Back toward the fletchings there are 7 rings painted on the shaft and they are to remind the boys of the 7 rays on the badge and that they represent the 7 virtues which could be what ever I want them to be for what ever kid I'm talking to or sometimes I tell them that they represent each of the days of the week and they should remind them to do a good turn dailey. The point is a glow in the dark arrow head which I lash on with sinue(how do you spell that?). And the hole thing hangs with a piece of leather suede lacing.



My headdress was hand made by the Souix in South Dakota and the breast plate was made by a man in Cody, Wyoming at Tecumseh's Trading Post. My mocasins were purchased at Vicker's. The rest, I made.

I have done 25 "Arrow of Light" ceremonies. I have sat on two Eagle Board of Reviews and just a few weeks ago was asked to present Devin Dutson his Eagle. WOW, that was scary, he had almost 100 people there.









This is at the Eagle Board of Review. We reviewed Devin's Eagle Project, and read all of the letters of recommendation. Discussed Devin's project and then Devin came in and we all asked Devin questions. Then it was determined that he was an EAGLE. The next step was for Devin to have his Court of Honor.
Jim, Devin and Me after.
Devin Dutson Eagle!
This is the awesome Dutson family

Darrell, Ryan, Devin, Kyle, Linda, Jennifer and Grandma Dutson!



Devin & Mom ******************Grandma & Devin*********** Crazy Devin & Crazy Dad

2 comments:

Wendlelyn said...

I just love your blog..it's so cute. I love seeing all the fun creative stuff you do, I wish I was that creative and talented!!!

bar-b-ann said...

I have to agree with Wendy....this is awesome....and I love that eagle song!